ways to market a podcast/get greater reception?
i hope this isn’t against policy but i have a question about a personal project. i started a podcast (relevant to my major) about a month ago and since then i’ve done four episodes with my friends and a couple of teachers. i have about the next 3-4 episodes lined up with family members, teachers, and possibly some high-level administrators at my school. it’s been going well so far, but it’s a small project and no one really knows about it so the amount of plays/views isn’t as high as i had hoped. so far i only really get the word out through my instagram (personal) and the instagram account i’ve made specially for the podcast, which combined have ~400 followers (not a big social media person). any ways/tips about how i could get a greater reception? thanks in advance!
To write your own answer, please log in or sign up (it’s free!)
How does karma work?
The system is simple: you receive karma (sort of like a credit) when you help others. If you're short on karma, you can do any of the following to earn more:
- 1 karma for each 👍 upvote on a question you post
- 1 karma for each 👍 upvote on an answer you post
if your answer is marked accepted
- 10 karma for reviewing an essay
- 10 karma if your essay review is rated 5 ⭐️
You can then use your karma to submit an essay for review or guarantee an expert answer on Q&A.
Tell family members and friends to watch it and share it with their friends. And tell their friends to share it with their friends. Maybe ask your school if they could post something about it on their school page or school district page or their social medias to gain attention for it. Other than that there is nothing much you can do.
Here are some ideas:
1. You can optimize your podcast for search engines: https://www.searchenginewatch.com/2019/06/03/podcast-seo-tips-101/
2. Share your podcast in relevant FB groups and forums (like Reddit) that allow self-promotion. Don't do this in a way that's blatantly self-promotion though (like "hey guys, please check out my podcast"). I'd recommend joining groups in your niche (like if your podcast is about travel, join a travel FB group). That way, when people ask for podcast recs, you can add your own.
3. Many podcasts are tied to blogs or youtube channels. What tends to happen is a person builds their audience on those platforms, then starts a podcast. If either of those things interest you, you can start those to create additional content for your podcast. For instance, a blog could be nice to have transcripts of your podcasts, and blogs are also easier to grow as there's more established SEO (search engine optimization) strategies.
4. Guest podcasting: look for podcasts in your niche that already have a following, and pitch a "guest podcast." Make sure they accept interviews/guests though, as most people don't love guest requests otherwise (can seem self-serving).
5. Join FB groups for podcasters. It's a great way to network, ask for advice, and also support each other. I'm not familiar with podcasting groups, but in blogging groups at least, there are opportunities to share others' content and get your content shared.
Hope this helps, and best of luck!