4 months ago
Paying for College

Scholarship, financial aid?


I want to apply for financial aid as an international student and I saw I need a social security number, how can i apply for that, what do I need?

Thank you so much


Earn karma by helping others:

1 karma for each ⬆️ upvote on your answer, and 20 karma if your answer is marked accepted.

1 answer

Accepted Answer
4 months ago

Hi @sofiamunoz

The question “How to get a social security number as an international student?” is often asked across different international student groups.

The answer is that you can definitely apply for a social security number (SSN) as an F-1 or M-1 visa student. The process of applying for an SSN may sound complicated and tedious; however, if you read this carefully, you can apply and get your SSN without wasting time and energy.

Of course, you need to get a job in order to apply for an SSN. But, don’t be afraid of that. Even working on campus part time makes you eligible, so it’s not that hard to become employed. After you find a job, you’ll need to take all your documents to prove your identity, immigration status, and work eligibility to your local Social Security Administration in person to file your application for an SSN card.

1. Prove your identity

A valid passport is definitely the must-have document when you apply for an SSN

2. Prove your immigration status

If you are an F-1 or M-1 student, you must bring your I-20.

If you are a J-1 or J-2 exchange visitor, you must bring your DS-2019.

3. Prove your work eligibility

If you are a foreign worker, you will need your valid foreign passport along with one of the following:

I-94 Arrival/Departure Record; or

I-766 Employment Authorization Document or work permit

If you are an F-1 student and are eligible to work on campus, you must have:

Unexpired I-20 Certificate of Eligibility for Nonimmigrant Student Status; and

Employment evidence such as a letter including:

Your job title

Your employment start date

The number of hours you are, or will be, working;

Your supervisor’s name and telephone number

If you are an F-1 student and eligible to work in curricular practical training, you must have your I-20 with the employment page completed and signed by your designated school official.

If you are an F-1 student and have a work permit I-766, you must bring it.

If you are a J-1 student, student intern, or an international visitor, you must provide a letter from your sponsor. The letter should be on sponsor letterhead with an original signature that authorizes your employment.

GoodLuck!!! Please ask if you have any other questions


Community Guidelines

To keep this community safe and supportive:

  1. Be kind and respectful!
  2. Keep posts relevant to college admissions and high school.
  3. Don’t ask “chance-me” questions. Use CollegeVine’s chancing instead!

How karma works