5 months ago
Paying for College

How do new US residents fill FAFSA

I am going to move to US in a couple of weeks and will be receiving my green card soon. Since my parents haven’t even paid taxes in the US, I was curious about how new residents fill a FAFSA, can anybody provide some information?


Earn karma by helping others:

1 karma for each ⬆️ upvote on your answer, and 20 karma if your answer is marked accepted.

1 answer

Accepted Answer
5 months ago

Hi, thank you for asking your question! Generally, if you are a green-card holder in the US you will be considered an "eligible non-citizen" FAFSA applicant as long as you meet the basic eligibility criteria (see link #1 below). If you are curious about not having any tax history in the US to indicate on the FAFSA, no worries! You may submit your foreign tax history instead (see link #2 below). A lot of your questions about the FAFSA can be answered in two places: 1) The FAFSA website has a FAQ page as well as a really good internal search engine (see link #3). 2) Our blog page on our website has many resources about financial aid for international as well as green-card holder applicants (see link #4).

Basic eligibility criteria: https://studentaid.gov/help/federal-student-aid-eligibility

Foreign tax history: https://studentaid.gov/help/foreign-tax-return

FAFSA FAQ page: https://studentaid.gov/apply-for-aid/fafsa/filling-out/help

CV blog page: https://www.collegevine.com/blog/search/fafsa

Hope this helps!


Community Guidelines

To keep this community safe and supportive:

  1. Be kind and respectful!
  2. Keep posts relevant to college admissions and high school.
  3. Don’t ask “chance-me” questions. Use CollegeVine’s chancing instead!

How karma works