How to choose the right College?
How do people know when they find the college that is right for them? I've seen my friends be excited and heavily interested in a particular university and I just don't seem to have that energy. I've been looking into the university of Oregon but am unsure how to decide if it's right for me.
Finding a college that is right for you, is tricky. I just found out what college I wanted to go to. I will give you a few hints. These helped me figure out my dream school;
-Research the school
-Know the history
-Email the school's admissions counselor
Those are just a few, but let me know if I can be of any more help!
For me, the most important factor is the academic staff. I usually search all the professors and the other staff one by one on the internet, check their CVs, earlier works, etc. It gives you an important clue about how qualified are the people who will train you on the specialization you chose.
Yea, I get the struggle. I am also looking for colleges now and there is just too much to choose from. Here are some tips that might help.
1. Do you know your intended major or an area of study that you might want to pursue? If so, you can look for schools that specialize in that area. If you don't you can go to a liberal arts school (basically kind of like high school where you do a little of all subjects until you find a particular interest).
2. Do you play sports or are you considering doing D1/D2 sports? If so, you can look for schools with good sports clubs and teams.
3. Do you have a particular location that you have in mind? Do you want to stay closer to home or go somewhere new? Make sure to consider that. Also, do you want to study in a city, a suburban area, or a rural area?
4. Do you have financial restrictions? If so, you might want to look more towards in-state schools, schools that offer good financial aid, or public schools.
5. What are you looking to get out of college? What is your main goal of attending? I think these are all questions you should ask yourself before choosing a university.
If you want to see if the University of Oregon is for you, then you might want to go visit the campus (you can do it virtually as well) or attend information sessions to get a feel of the school, staff, and culture.
Also, I think that this website can be a really great tool for you, They have several filters to help you choose schools and if you fill out some academic information (if you haven't already), you can see the chances of you getting into that school.
Anyways, good luck! I think that a school is what you make of it so don't stress out too much if you still haven't decided yet.
To keep this community safe and supportive:
- Be kind and respectful!
- Keep posts relevant to college admissions and high school.
- Don’t ask “chance-me” questions. Use CollegeVine’s chancing instead!