Hey all! I'm a junior and I'm aiming for some top-tier colleges. What can I do to make my application stand out among the many others they receive? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Hello! It's great that you're already thinking about how to make your application stand out. Based on my experience with my own child, here are a few suggestions to help you in your college application journey:
1. Develop a strong personal narrative: Top colleges are looking for students who have a clear sense of who they are, what they're passionate about, and how they intend to make a difference in the world. Spend some time reflecting on your interests and experiences, and try to weave them into a cohesive story that showcases your unique perspective.
2. Highlight your extracurricular involvement: Colleges value students who are active in their communities and participate in a variety of activities. Try to get deeply involved in a few of your favorite extracurriculars and pursue leadership roles where possible. This will show colleges that you're committed and capable of making a positive impact.
3. Pursue meaningful summer experiences: Instead of just relaxing during your summer breaks, look for opportunities to further your interests and gain new experiences. This could include internships, research projects, volunteer work, or other programs that align with your passions.
4. Polish your essays: Your essays are a crucial opportunity to showcase your personality, writing skills, and unique perspective. Make sure to invest ample time in brainstorming, drafting, and revising your essays to ensure they truly stand out.
5. Seek strong letters of recommendation: Build strong relationships with your teachers, counselors, and other mentors. They will be able to provide more personal and compelling recommendations that can give your application an edge.
Best of luck in your college application process!