What are your chances of acceptance?
Your chance of acceptance
Duke University
Loading…
UCLA
Loading…
+ add school
Your chancing factors
Unweighted GPA: 3.7
1.0
4.0
SAT: 720 math
200
800
| 800 verbal
200
800

Extracurriculars

Low accuracy (4 of 18 factors)

How do I decide whether to apply to a college as a reach, target, or safety?

Hello all! I'm a junior and I'm starting to put together my college list. I've heard that I should have a mix of reach, target, and safety schools, but I'm not sure how to categorize each college. How do I decide which category a college falls into? Thanks for any tips you can share!

10 months ago

Hey there! It's great that you're being proactive about your college search. Having a balanced college list is important, and I can share some tips that helped my own child when they were in a similar situation. To categorize a college as a reach, target, or safety, you'll want to compare your academic profile (GPA, test scores, and class rank) to the average admitted student profile of the colleges you're interested in. Here's a general guideline: 1. Reach schools: Your academic profile is below the college's average or you have less than a 25% chance of acceptance. 2. Target schools: Your academic profile is similar to the college's average and you have around a 25-75% chance of acceptance. 3. Safety schools: Your academic profile is above the college's average and you have a greater than 75% chance of acceptance. Keep in mind that this is just a starting point, and you should also consider factors like location, size, academics, and extracurricular opportunities. Good luck with your college search!

10 months ago

About CollegeVine’s Expert FAQ

CollegeVine’s Q&A seeks to offer informed perspectives on commonly asked admissions questions. Every answer is refined and validated by our team of admissions experts to ensure it resonates with trusted knowledge in the field.