• 9 months ago •
Admissions Advice

What could help foreigner student to join a college in United States?

- characteristics required to have chance joining American college

- which state is most adequate to study engineering and electronics tools ?

- advices to reach any college in USA

- advantages for foreigner student

- Partners of American colleges and universities in Tunisia the North African country ?

- which departments are the most qualified to help foreigner reach college or universities in UNITED STATES Of America ?

- which college provide social security automatically for foreigner students ?

- what should I do to join directly American Universities if I have a simple high school diploma from Tunisia ?

- how to get financial help from American college ?

- where can I get a financial Help from college or a state department?

Thank you

🎉 First post
Let’s welcome @Aziz to the community! Remember to be kind, helpful, and supportive in your responses.

Earn karma by helping others:

1 karma for each ⬆️ upvote on your answer, and 20 karma if your answer is marked accepted.

1 answer

• 8 months ago[edited]

- Before applying students should know when to start the application process for US Universities? When are the deadlines? What are the intakes for US universities? When a student can go for studying there? Most American universities require foreign applicants to take an English as a second language exam. There are two commonly administered tests for this purpose: the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) or the International English Language Testing System (IELTS). The minimum TOEFL score required by most American schools is a 78 which is in the 40th percentile of all test takers. However, more competitive universities will demand higher scores. American schools will require you, the applicant, to have your credentials verified and translated by a third-party organization. The safest organizations to seek out will be:

• Third-party agencies that are members of the National Association of Credential Evaluation Services (NACES)

• Third-party agencies that are members of the Association of International Credential Evaluators, Inc. (AICE)

Students typically pay anywhere from $75-250 dollars to have their transcript evaluated and it can take weeks to complete (so plan ahead). Some colleges will not require a full-blown transcript evaluation, but, if the materials are in a foreign language, they will most certainly need to be translated by someone other than the applicant themselves. Know the timeline

The American college application timeline is unique and can take foreign students by surprise. International students need to familiarize themselves with the various deadlines for their prospective schools including, early action, early decision, early decision II, and financial aid deadlines. They also need to have a general understanding of when to:

Ask for recommendations.

Take the TOEFL/IELTS, SAT/ACT, and any required Subject Tests.

Fill out their FAFSA or CSS Profile for financial aid consideration.

Begin working in the Common App, Coalition App, or school-exclusive application.

- In addition, some foreign countries offer scholarships for students who study in America.

- What documents do I need to submit when I apply? You will find this information under Admission Requirements (or a similar headline) on the school’s website. Here are some of the most common documents that you need to submit when you apply to a university abroad:

The school's application form. This usually consists of simple questions like personal details and details about the program that you are applying for. Read it carefully and fill out all the required fields. Do not forget to sign it

Your grades from high school.

A copy of your passport so that the school can issue a visa letter.

Proof that you meet the school’s English language requirements.

Standardized tests If you are applying for degree programs in the US and some other countries you might need to take a standardized test such as SAT for undergraduate level and GMAT or GRE for Master programs.

A financial statement to show that you can pay for your studies and living expenses. You will need a bank statement in English. It should preferably be a letter written by the bank that states how big your assets are and how much it corresponds to in the school's currency

Motivation letters and reference letters. Colleges don’t only look at your grades. It is also common that you are asked to submit references and motivation letters to prove that you are a suitable student.

- Grants, work-study, loans, and scholarships help make college or career school affordable. International students can't apply for federal student aid, but U.S. universities may use other forms to determine financial need.

A good scholarship website to look for financial aids for international students includes: Scholarships.com, scholarships360.org, Niche, bold.org

I hope this information is useful; I didn't answer all of the questions because I didn't know the answers.


Community Guidelines

To keep this community safe and supportive:

  1. Be kind and respectful!
  2. Keep posts relevant to college admissions and high school.
  3. Don’t ask “chance-me” questions. Use CollegeVine’s chancing instead!

How karma works