Questions & Answers
To help folks get answers faster, we’ve introduced verified experts . You can still submit questions as usual, or use to guarantee an expert answer. Answering questions can help you earn karma.
Who are the verified experts?
Current verified experts: jcdenton ShaquilleOatmeal alyssa33 maplecreamcookies
Verified experts have completed training and use CollegeVine’s proprietary data and research in the field of college admissions. Their names might look familiar because they’ve already been answering some of your questions!
We recognize that not everybody has access to a school counselor when they need help, so these experts are available for free on CollegeVine. You can ask a question and get an answer from a verified expert.
Wait, is there any catch?
You need a minimum of 20 karma to guarantee an answer from a verified expert. To learn more, You can still submit a question without karma and get answers from your peers or a verified expert if they are online!
Have a follow-up question about verified experts? Contact us – we’re happy to help!
How does karma work?
The system is simple: you receive karma (sort of like a credit) when you help others. If you're short on karma, you can do any of the following to earn more:
- 1 karma for each 👍 upvote on a question you post
- 1 karma for each 👍 upvote on an answer you post
if your answer is marked accepted
- 10 karma for reviewing an essay
- 10 karma if your essay review is rated 5 ⭐️
You can then use your karma to submit an essay for review or guarantee an expert answer on Q&A.
Foregin Language Requirement
How specific should a "Why School?" essay be?
What is the common app essay format?
Letter of Recommendation Error
Organization name on commomapp activites section
How I can get financial aid?
AP Scholar with Honor Award
Should I write an essay if it is optional?
Results from Collegevines admission calculator
If you make a one word typo in UChicago supplemental essay, should we contact the counselor and correct it?
Does financial aid (FASFA) cover out of state tuition?
How different is a hard target from the reach schools?
I am not showing off, I need some serious help
For the family responsibilities section in common app, what should I put as position/leadership description?
What should I include in the Covid section on Common App
Should I submit my SAT even if it is below the school's middle 50%?
what are some basic points to write about in the 'why us' of a school
Question & answer community guidelines
Help keep this community safe, supportive, and helpful!
All questions and answers must abide by these guidelines:Do:
- Write a clear question title that ends in a “?”.
- Vote! Upvote posts that are helpful and Downvote posts that aren’t.
- Be kind, be respectful, and keep posts relevant to college admissions and high school.
- Flag any posts that are inappropriate, rude, or break these guidelines.
- Don’t be rude. Posts containing anything violent, racist, attacking, trolling, illegal, offensive, inappropriate, etc. are strictly prohibited and will be removed.
- Don’t ask “chance-me” questions. These are questions that list your profile and ask how likely you are to get into a school. Please rely on the CollegeVine chancing or livestreams to answer this type of question. “Chance-me” posts often turn into bragging, and that’s not what we’re about here.
- Don’t ask for essay reviews. You should use peer essay review for safe and fast reviews. Don’t post your sharable essay link on the Q&A to get a faster review. Instead, “fast-track” your essay with karma!
- Don’t share personally identifying information like your name, email, or high school. Don’t attempt to solicit, reveal, or share personal information about others.
- Don’t post advertisements. These are unsolicited promotions of yourself, your business, or products/services. Posts that break the guidelines will be locked by a moderator. Users who break the guidelines 3 times will be banned from the Q&A.