I'm currently a Nigerian student, with a 3.6 GPA.
Hi, I'm a college coach and my top tip would be to apply for scholarships specifically for Nigerian students that are very specific to your intended major, gender, financial background, and prospective school. Prioritize smaller scholarships that are less competitive and easier to get.
1. Here's a link explaining financial aid eligibility for non-U.S. citizens: https://studentaid.gov/understand-aid/eligibility/requirements/non-us-citizens
2. Check with the U.S. Embassy in Nigeria and the Nigerian Embassy in the U.S. for scholarship opportunities. Here are a link to get started:
3. Here's a link for a few U.S. Dept. of State advising centers in Nigeria. After you click on the relevant city, there are a few scholarships specific to Nigerian students.
4. Here's a quick overview of scholarships in the U.S., how to organize applications, and how to write a scholarship essay. https://www.scribbr.com/college-essay/scholarship-essay/
5. Here's a scholarship application tracker spreadsheet that you can use to keep track of your scholarship application deadlines, requirements, essays, etc. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Oy_EXQ8xa4uT71h83RS_b_lig-KbGLhuGSWnvjELEe4/edit
Hope this helps!
To keep this community safe and supportive: