How do college minors work?
Hi, for college I would like to major in engineering and get a minor in business. I really enjoy business and I would like to know more information on how minors work. I split the question up into bullet points;
- When you fill out the common application, are you able to specify what minor you want?
- When do I start classes in my minor?
- How does my minor fit into my schedule typically?
- are there combos in which I cannot graduate with? (Ex; is it allowed to graduate with a masters in political science and minor in psychology)
Those are my questions for now about minors. Thank you!
Earn karma by helping others:
I will answer your questions as you asked them:
- Minors aren't specified on the application, they are selected when you're at college and are more flexible than majors.
- You can start classes in your minor whenever but usually after you take core classes if your school has them.
- Your schedule is up to you but from my knowledge it's not at all difficult to find space in your class schedule for a minor.
-No, the point of a minor is to explore an interest outside of your major. I remember touring Emory and my tour guide was a Business major with one minor in Arabic and another in psychology. The possibilities are endless.
To keep this community safe and supportive:
- Be kind and respectful!
- Keep posts relevant to college admissions and high school.
- Don’t ask “chance-me” questions. Use CollegeVine’s chancing instead!