How do college minors work?
Hi, for college I would like to major in engineering and get a minor in business. I really enjoy business and I would like to know more information on how minors work. I split the question up into bullet points;
- When you fill out the common application, are you able to specify what minor you want?
- When do I start classes in my minor?
- How does my minor fit into my schedule typically?
- are there combos in which I cannot graduate with? (Ex; is it allowed to graduate with a masters in political science and minor in psychology)
Those are my questions for now about minors. Thank you!
To write your own answer, please log in or sign up (it’s free!)
How does karma work?
The system is simple: you receive karma (sort of like a credit) when you help others. If you're short on karma, you can do any of the following to earn more:
- 1 karma for each 👍 upvote on a question you post
- 1 karma for each 👍 upvote on an answer you post
if your answer is marked accepted
- 10 karma for reviewing an essay
- 10 karma if your essay review is rated 5 ⭐️
You can then use your karma to submit an essay for review or guarantee an expert answer on Q&A.
I will answer your questions as you asked them:
- Minors aren't specified on the application, they are selected when you're at college and are more flexible than majors.
- You can start classes in your minor whenever but usually after you take core classes if your school has them.
- Your schedule is up to you but from my knowledge it's not at all difficult to find space in your class schedule for a minor.
-No, the point of a minor is to explore an interest outside of your major. I remember touring Emory and my tour guide was a Business major with one minor in Arabic and another in psychology. The possibilities are endless.