How can I improve my extracurricular profile as a sophomore?
I'm a rising sophomore and I'm having trouble exploring and strengthening my extracurricular profile. I'm currently one of the leads in a climate justice movement group at my school and I play varsity soccer(no regional competitions or anything.) I've played the piano on and off since I was 3 but I'm not sure how to strengthen the skill into an extracurricular that tells people who I am. I'm not really competitive but I'm interested in biology, law, social justice movements, music(that's not really my strong point) and looking for extracurriculars to participate in these interests. I'm also having trouble finding internships as a non-citizen.
To write your own answer, please log in or sign up (it’s free!)
How does karma work?
The system is simple: you receive karma (sort of like a credit) when you help others. If you're short on karma, you can do any of the following to earn more:
- 1 karma for each 👍 upvote on a question you post
- 1 karma for each 👍 upvote on an answer you post
if your answer is marked accepted
- 10 karma for reviewing an essay
- 10 karma if your essay review is rated 5 ⭐️
You can then use your karma to submit an essay for review or guarantee an expert answer on Q&A.
Hi! I compiled a list of a few ecs you can do with each interest:
---- piano/music ----
- audition for all-region or all-state piano
- start a YouTube channel and make piano covers of popular songs, or even traditional piano songs. you can also post your original music
- teach piano classes to others
- (honestly, even playing piano recreationally is an extracurricular in itself.)
---- biology ----
- start or join a biology club at your school. see if you can get leadership
- study and take the USABO (super hard biology test that can qualify you for the US Biolympiad -- even if you dont qualify, a good score is still a major ec)
- do biology research at a local hospital or university
- volunteer at a science museum or hospital
---- law/social justice ----
- work/volunteer with political campaigns
- look for volunteer opportunities at the regional and state level -- for example, is there a program for youth in your area to get involved in local and state legislature?
- be an activist. attend and organize protests, rallies, petitions, etc.
- get involved with local political groups you align with: climate change? racial justice? 2nd amendment rights? or, start one!
- form a club at your school
---- climate change ----
- is there a way you can expand this club? for example, can you gain a notable social media following? can you expand this program to other schools in your area, and maybe even hold a district, region, or state-wide convention?
- how can this club fight for change outside of just your school? can you get involved with local legislation?
- how can this club increase its impact? can you hold a bottlecap drive or raise money to help support conservation initiatives? a really notable achievement can also help generate media coverage for your club, helping out with the other points above.
hope these help!