a year ago
Admissions Advice

Does anyone know how to convert IGCSE, AS Level, and A level to GPA?

Hello. Does anybody know how to convert British exam marks to at least (even an approximation) of American GPA? Many thanks in advance.


Earn karma by helping others:

1 karma for each ⬆️ upvote on your answer, and 20 karma if your answer is marked accepted.

2 answers

a year ago

Hello there! There doesn't seem to be a universal way to do a conversion. I found this article that might help: http://en.ulink.cn/Shanghai/Academic/Assessment/. Others suggest a slightly different approximation:

A* - 4.0

A - 4.0

B - 3.7

C - 3.0

D - 2.3

E - 2.0

F - 1.3

G - 1.0

U - 0

Also keep in mind that A level courses are considered advanced, and you'd want to add 1 point to each course to calculate a weighted GPA. If you're using this for the chancing engine, this should be a loose approximation. When it comes to your actual applications though, there's no need to do a conversion. Admissions officers are familiar with the rigor of IGCSE, AS Level, and A level courses and will do their own conversion. To be sure, you can always call the admissions offices of the schools you want to attend. Hope this helps!

a year ago

In the US, the state of Iowa is known for education research and development. Iowa State University offers a GPA calculator you may find useful. https://www.admissions.iastate.edu/apply/gpa_calc.php


Community Guidelines

To keep this community safe and supportive:

  1. Be kind and respectful!
  2. Keep posts relevant to college admissions and high school.
  3. Don’t ask “chance-me” questions. Use CollegeVine’s chancing instead!

How karma works