Looking for input on a topic for my common application essay.
I have brainstormed three possible topics:
1. Overcoming an eating disorder and the challenges I still face with body image.
2. Goals and plans to time travel/expand on my fascination with time travel.
3. My lifelong fascination with stopping climate change by creating sustainable energy resources.
1. For this topic, I think you could really make it authentic and even include some metaphors, symbolism, analogies, etc to describe your experience and how you overcame it and where you plan/want to be with yourself in the future.
2. This topic description is a bit vague, except since it is about time travel, you could definitely write a great essay, if you phrase your fascination exceptionally well. Perhaps reminiscing on the past, present, and future and how you hope to contribute and experience a very new field of research.
3. This would work very well for detailing your ambitions, but make sure not to make your essay seem basic—such as why you wanted to become some sort of environmental major, if it's relevant, that is, unless you can describe a very unique instance that is personal to you.
Overall, I would say any topic can work as long as you center it around yourself. One great tip I heard was that when you read it, make sure it seems like no one else could have written it—that's how you know it is authentic enough. Anyways, best of luck to you and I hope you get into your dream school!! We're in this process together !
Don’t think so much about the what but please focus on the how. How you can approach the subject and demonstrate passion and character. How you could link it with the qualities that the University is looking for. How you could be unique without touching any extremes. You have the best answer to give in these questions. Good luck !
Maybe you can talk about how ur goals to travel and ur fascination with time travel has helped u escape ur eating disorder challenge, I too have an eating disorder and it inspired me to be a physician/psychatrist path. Whichever one follows the most with ur life plans and career is my biggest reccomendation!!! I personally would love to hear about 2.
1: Can you provide personal insight and not just anecdotes? Is there a reason why this topic is a good idea such as a major related?
2: Can it be professional and not “wacky”. It is very unique and that’s good but don’t make it too wacky. This in my opinion would be great for selective schools as it is very orginal.
3: Just no as this is more of “Why this major?” not about you. Only do this if the others are horrendous.
Personally I’d do 2 then 1 then 3.
Hope this helps please comment if you need clarification as I’d be happy to help.
plans to time travel! i wanna hear about those!