2 years ago
Admissions Advice

Do I have to apply as a transfer student to the USA after doing a 1-Year Diploma Course in another country?

Hi Guys!

So I am currently doing a diploma in International Relations in a university in Kenya - where I'm from.

The course is only 1-year but from what I've researched, when I actually want to start doing a degree, I will have to apply as a transfer student because I've attended a college institute (even though I haven't done a degree).

Is this actually true or can i apply as a first year international student, or do i have to apply as a first year transfer student?

Thank you!


Earn karma by helping others:

1 karma for each ⬆️ upvote on your answer, and 20 karma if your answer is marked accepted.

1 answer

Accepted Answer
2 years ago

So typically after one year or in some cases 1 semester you are a transfer student no matter what. So you’d likely be a transfer student.

The exception is if the degree was completed in high school. Also is the degree a degree certification certificate as that would more likely than not change things.

Personally for an absolute answer just email the admissions department at school you are interested in attending. Google is your friend in finding email addresses.

Hope this helps and please comment if you need clarification as I’d be happy to help clarify!


Community Guidelines

To keep this community safe and supportive:

  1. Be kind and respectful!
  2. Keep posts relevant to college admissions and high school.
  3. Don’t ask “chance-me” questions. Use CollegeVine’s chancing instead!

How karma works