How can i boost my extracurriculars?
I'm a Colombian student, and here extracurricular activities are not important for admissions, so then opportunities for doing them are fewer for high schoolers.
At the time i have some extracurriculars, they are:
Music:Piano and drums player.
Sports: Player of a nationally recognized team.
Academic: Canada exchange, math olympiads (national semifinalist, Although it is a challenge to be a semifinalist, the number of semifinalists is high)
Work experience: I'm working on an international institution named Kumon, where students can learn math, english and spanish skills, there i assist and sometimes i help math and english students.
And next year i'm thinking about being my class president and also being the representative figure of students.
I was wondering if any of you knows how can i boost my extracurricular activities for my common application.
To write your own answer, please log in or sign up (it’s free!)
How does karma work?
The system is simple: you receive karma (sort of like a credit) when you help others. If you're short on karma, you can do any of the following to earn more:
- 1 karma for each 👍 upvote on a question you post
- 1 karma for each 👍 upvote on an answer you post
if your answer is marked accepted
- 10 karma for reviewing an essay
- 10 karma if your essay review is rated 5 ⭐️
You can then use your karma to submit an essay for review or guarantee an expert answer on Q&A.
So without divulging personal info
• In sports are you a starter or a captain? Becuase it doesn’t matter for admissions if you are a 3rd string on the best High school in the country you haven’t done anything. Hope this makes sense.
• For music is it a hobby or do you have a band?
• For academic exchange programs are a lot more culturally and or essay based not really an extracurricular. For math semifinals are you interested in STEM if so semifinal is great despite being a big number of them it’s more a % base. 1000 semifinalists isn’t impressive until you realized 100000 competed for them.
• Work expierence depends on your job expierence/Responsibilitiesas an intern it is impressive especially if it was a contest based for the position.
• Class president is impressive but it’s kinda seen as a popularity contest and not really merit based. In the US there is 20 thousand plus public high schools each of them have a class president and consider Harvard only enrolls 1600ish a year and not only class presidents are accepted it isn’t super impressive but it is a good thing especially if it has significant responsibility like planning graduation so I’d focus on that not being elected to president.
Without knowing where you want to go I can’t say if you even need to improve your extracurriculars as they are really impressive it depends on wether you are interested in a very selective school like the Ivies UCLA Rice etc or if you are interested in a school that admits 80% of applicants.
I’d look into anything that is related to what you want to study in college like for engineering you might want to look at a engineering club or for teaching focus on tutoring. Even with what you have your ECs are really impressive especially for an international student. Best of luck!
Please comment so I Edit my advice specifically about the above paragraph.
Hope this helps and please comment if you need clarification as I’d be happy to help clarify!