Junior majoring in finance [Boston College, Boston University, MIT, UPenn, UWMadison]Answered
Looking for a spike to write my college essays about and who to get rec letters from
1. math teacher who lowkey hates me but has me fresh, junior, sr year
2. physics teacher (really nice, doesn't know me well)
3. english teacher this yr (likes me and has written MANY recs)
4. english teacher fresh&soph yr (LOVES me, not experienced in writing recs but knows me well)
Took AP HG, APES and AP Micro,
taking: AP Calc BC, AP Gov, AP Lang, AP Seminar
Next yr: Multivariable calc, AP Macro, AP Spanish, AP Stats
Lots of honors and business classes
- Founder/President of HHS UNICEF Club (started soph year)
- all 4 years member of DECA (maybe board position sr yr)
- UNICEF USA Youth representative of Chicago (I'm really involved, have written op-eds and proposals for UNICEF USA and UNICEF Global)
- bank teller at kohler credit union
- finance research with prof @ Boston college
Earn karma by helping others:
So you want your recommenders to be people who:
1. Know you well and think of you positively
2. Are from two contrasting fields (like humanities and STEM)
3. Ideally had you recently as a student
Based on this, you probably want to ask teacher 3 or 4 as one of them, but not both because they're both English teachers. You'll need to weigh the importance of knowing you well vs. experience in writing letters. A teacher who doesn't write a lot of letters may have more time to focus on yours, especially if they like you a lot. For letter #2, neither teachers 1 or 2 seem ideal, but someone who likes you is better than someone who doesn't.
As for your spike, it seems to be finance or government related? You can certainly write your essays about both; your essays should share a clear picture of your interests and who you are.
Hope this helps, and best of luck!
To keep this community safe and supportive:
- Be kind and respectful!
- Keep posts relevant to college admissions and high school.
- Don’t ask “chance-me” questions. Use CollegeVine’s chancing instead!