7 days ago
Admissions Advice

If I repeated a grade do I get to choose which ones to show to the colleges?

I need help please I tried looking for answer to this question everywhere but I could not find any. The college I’m applying to wants report card from 10th to 12th grade. I have a full report for 10th grade. Then I had to move and I basically moved to different schools bcus I didn’t know the language academically for 11th grade. Then this same year I found a English school that only went up to 10th grade so I had to go down a grade that same year. And my current 11th and 12 grade report cards are fine. But bcus of the moving around year I don’t have a full transcript/of that year. Can I choose not to include it? I’m applying abroad and here can you please help.


Earn karma by helping others:

1 karma for each ⬆️ upvote on your answer, and 20 karma if your answer is marked accepted.

2 answers

Accepted Answer
7 days ago

Hi @Leanaaaaaa,

You are going to have to find a way to have your 2 schools where you did your 10th grade coursework report your 10th grade transcripts. There is no exception to this that I'm aware of. If you have an incomplete transcript, just report 11th and 12th, your application will be incomplete and they will not process it. This is not the same as a rejection but you won't even get an opportunity to be considered for college with an entire year of high school missing without grades.

So the most important thing you can do right now is track down those high schools and the counselors that are responsible for transmitting transcripts to colleges. That is more important than starting your college applications. For most colleges that I'm aware, they actually want to see your 9th, 10th, 11th, and 12th grades not just 10-12.

Good luck.

2 days ago

Hi @Leanaaaaaa,

You should submit all documentation required by colleges, which usually includes transcripts from 9th to 12th grade. If you can't find those grades, then you can have your school counselor include the conversion in your report (mentioning what prerequisites you had to take to get your 11th grade courses).

You don't want to risk having an incomplete application, so I also recommend reaching out to the counselors at each school you attended so they can transfer your transcripts to your current high school counselor.

You can explain the situation to colleges in the Additional Information section of the Common App or have your counselor write a supplementary note to go with your transcript to explain the situation.

Another solution you can try is reaching out to the admissions office at one or two schools you're planning to apply to and getting their recommendation. This could save you a lot of time and you can then craft a strategy for your entire school list based on their responses.

Hope this helps!


Community Guidelines

To keep this community safe and supportive:

  1. Be kind and respectful!
  2. Keep posts relevant to college admissions and high school.
  3. Don’t ask “chance-me” questions. Use CollegeVine’s chancing instead!

How karma works