Skip to main content
2
• 3 years ago • Admissions Advice
Admissions Advice

Do I have to follow college essay prompts?

So I’m wondering do I have to follow the prompt they have for College essays? I wrote one that I like but I don’t know if it fits some that I see,

:|
2
3

Earn karma by helping others:

1 karma for each ⬆️ upvote on your answer, and 20 karma if your answer is marked accepted.

3 answers

0
• 4 days ago

Before rewriting, put the prompt above your draft and underline every task it asks you to do. Beside each task, note which paragraph answers it. If you can’t point to one, that’s the part to revise. Save the original first; you may be able to keep the story and change its focus.

I’m helping promote EZCollegeApp. It displays the prompt and word limit beside a school’s essay draft, which is useful for this check. Compare with the current prompt in your application, and don’t force the same draft into every supplement.

0
0
• 3 years ago

Ideally, you very much should. The essay is a strong part of your application. It does give you some flexibility though, the common app offers several essay prompts, so you will likely have some flexibility in choosing one that best fits your story.

You should be focusing on the prompt's essence and, if you still have doubts, consult a counselor or advisor on this matter.

0
0
• 3 years ago

Each college has a specific essay prompt. It is important to answer the prompt. If your essay does not address the prompt, often those are the first students to be cut out. So make sure you are answering the prompt THAT specific college asks.

0
What are your chances of acceptance?
Your chance of acceptance
Duke University
Loading…
UCLA
Loading…
+ add school
Your chancing factors
Unweighted GPA: 3.7
1.0
4.0
SAT: 720 math
200
800
| 800 verbal
200
800

Extracurriculars

Low accuracy (4 of 18 factors)

Community Guidelines

To keep this community safe and supportive:

  1. Be kind and respectful!
  2. Keep posts relevant to college admissions and high school.
  3. Don’t ask “chance-me” questions. Use CollegeVine’s chancing instead!

How karma works