I currently have an average ~14-15% chance of getting into each Ivy League, with some (like Princeton) higher than others (like Yale). If I apply to all 8 Ivy League colleges, what are my chances of getting into at least 1? I want to make sure it's a worthwhile gamble to apply to all of them, since I'll spend over $600 on application fees.
Genuinely, it is not worth it to apply to all eight Ivies. Think about your major. There are plenty of other elite schools out there that likely have better programs than some of the Ivies in that field. Sure, a couple Ivies might excel in that program, but not all eight will be as elite as other schools. Applying to all eight just because you can in a waste of money and likely not worthwhile. Think about which ones you would actually want to attend and why. Also, applying to schools "just because" could take away spots from people who have wanted to be there for ages because it's their dream school, not just because it has prestige. What's your intended major? You could look for school suggestions on the School Suggestions forum. Overall, apply to schools that fit what you want- not just because they're good schools.
Those percentages alone can’t give you a reliable combined chance. Multiplying rejection rates assumes independent outcomes, and the estimates don’t establish that assumption.
For deciding whether eight applications are worth the cost, write one specific reason you’d attend each school, then list its essays and deadlines. That gives you something concrete to weigh against the fees and time. Keep room for options you’d like outside that group, too.
I’m helping promote EZCollegeApp. Its writing workspace organizes supplements by school with each prompt beside the draft. That may help you see the work involved before committing to a long list.
To keep this community safe and supportive: