Skip to main content
3
• 10 months ago • Admissions Advice
Admissions Advice

I love researching + writing papers on that. How do I put that on a college app?

I'm a freshman and I really love science, history, and writing, and I write a lot of papers and articles on these subjects, just as a hobby. How do I put that on a college application?

passionproject
3
1

Earn karma by helping others:

1 karma for each ⬆️ upvote on your answer, and 20 karma if your answer is marked accepted.

1 answer

0
• 4 days ago

When you apply, you could describe this as independent reading and writing. Explain what you actually do: the topics you investigate, how you check sources, and how you revise your papers. For example, “Write science and history articles using independently gathered sources” could be a starting point, if accurate.

Keep dated copies and a short reading log now. Later, you can use real details about your time and work rather than trying to make the hobby sound like formal published research.

Disclosure: I’m helping promote EZCollegeApp.

0
What are your chances of acceptance?
Your chance of acceptance
Duke University
Loading…
UCLA
Loading…
+ add school
Your chancing factors
Unweighted GPA: 3.7
1.0
4.0
SAT: 720 math
200
800
| 800 verbal
200
800

Extracurriculars

Low accuracy (4 of 18 factors)

Community Guidelines

To keep this community safe and supportive:

  1. Be kind and respectful!
  2. Keep posts relevant to college admissions and high school.
  3. Don’t ask “chance-me” questions. Use CollegeVine’s chancing instead!

How karma works