Skip to main content
0
• 2 days ago • Admissions Advice
Admissions Advice

Wait or send immediately

I’m applying to UNC Early Action as an out-of-state student, and I’m running short on time. Right now, I’m prioritizing shortening my personal statement and finishing the second required supplement.

Given the time constraint, would it be better to submit an Honors College essay that isn’t very strong, or should I leave it out altogether?

-
0
2
🎉 First post
Let’s welcome @SusanWoods to the community! Remember to be kind, helpful, and supportive in your responses.

Earn karma by helping others:

1 karma for each ⬆️ upvote on your answer, and 20 karma if your answer is marked accepted.

2 answers

0
• 19 hours ago[edited]

Leave it out. For UNC out-of-state, your personal statement and required supplements need to be as strong as humanly possible.

A rushed, weak essay won't get you into Honors Carolina anyway, and submitting a half-baked piece can drag down the overall polish of your application. Put 100% of your remaining time into making your main essays shine.

0
0
• a day ago

I’d finish your personal statement and required supplement first, then see how much time you have left. If the Honors essay answers the prompt and says something meaningful about you, it doesn’t need to be perfect. But if it’s rushed or mostly generic, I’d leave it out rather than take time away from the required essays.

0
What are your chances of acceptance?
Your chance of acceptance
Duke University
Loading…
UCLA
Loading…
+ add school
Your chancing factors
Unweighted GPA: 3.7
1.0
4.0
SAT: 720 math
200
800
| 800 verbal
200
800

Extracurriculars

Low accuracy (4 of 18 factors)

Community Guidelines

To keep this community safe and supportive:

  1. Be kind and respectful!
  2. Keep posts relevant to college admissions and high school.
  3. Don’t ask “chance-me” questions. Use CollegeVine’s chancing instead!

How karma works