Skip to main content
0
• 21 hours ago • Admissions Advice
Admissions Advice
[edited]

importance of 9/10 grades when applying?

hello! (fyi this is my first post, apologies if I miss some conventions of posts here)

For context, I am a student in 11th grade right now attending an international school-- we are following the IB diploma system.

Before highschool (9th grade) I was homeschooled, where my grades were externally checked and all of them were the highest according the grading system of my country.

I think it may be the reason why I struggled quite a bit with some grades when I moved to my current IRL international school, especially in 9th/10th grade in one specific criterion in mathematics, though I took the hardest class there-- (for frame of reference, my grades were "average" but not necessarily stellar either…)

(As a note, my school follows the MYP system until 10th grade, hence why on my transcript there are grades from 5/6-8 in different criteria for each subject)

Currently, I am taking the hardest maths class as well as physics/computer science as my Higher Level subjects and have gotten full marks on the last two (I am working on my mathematics criterion); I also have a some international hackathons, leadership positions in clubs and a lot of tinkering with software/hardware projects to my name (I've also organised hackathons for 50+ in my area). I hope to study computer science/electrical engineering in the future, at MIT if I'm not reaching high, maybe?

My question is as follows: how much do places like MIT value 9th/10th grades? What about improvement during 11th/12th grade?

Thank you so much in advance!! I've been stressed about this for so so long.

11th
0
🎉 First post
Let’s welcome @kazriello to the community! Remember to be kind, helpful, and supportive in your responses.

Earn karma by helping others:

1 karma for each ⬆️ upvote on your answer, and 20 karma if your answer is marked accepted.
What are your chances of acceptance?
Your chance of acceptance
Duke University
Loading…
UCLA
Loading…
+ add school
Your chancing factors
Unweighted GPA: 3.7
1.0
4.0
SAT: 720 math
200
800
| 800 verbal
200
800

Extracurriculars

Low accuracy (4 of 18 factors)

Community Guidelines

To keep this community safe and supportive:

  1. Be kind and respectful!
  2. Keep posts relevant to college admissions and high school.
  3. Don’t ask “chance-me” questions. Use CollegeVine’s chancing instead!

How karma works