Questions & Answers
What's new: 6 more experts joined the community!
To help you all get answers faster during this challenging time, we’ve introduced 6 new verified experts to the Q&A community. You can submit questions as usual, or use to guarantee an expert answer.
Who are the verified experts?
jcdenton ShaquilleOatmeal alyssa33 maplecreamcookies YeshDatar EliasMiller zpx3 GiebienNa MoriahKofsky HaleJaeger CollegeVineSupport
Verified experts have completed comprehensive training based on CollegeVine’s proprietary data and research in the field of college admissions. Their names might look familiar because many of them host our free livestreams.
These experts are available for free on CollegeVine because we know that not everybody has access to a school counselor or private tutor when they need help. You can ask a question any time and guarantee an expert answer for 20 karma.
Don't have karma?
You can still submit a question without karma and get answers from your peers or a verified expert if they are online!
Have a question about how the CollegeVine Q&A works? Email our support team – we’re happy to help!
How does karma work?
The system is simple: you receive karma (sort of like a credit) when you help others. If you're short on karma, you can do any of the following to earn more:
- 1 karma for each 👍 upvote on a question you post
- 1 karma for each 👍 upvote on an answer you post
if your answer is marked accepted
- 10 karma for reviewing an essay
- 10 karma if your essay review is rated 5 ⭐️
You can then use your karma to submit an essay for review or guarantee an expert answer on Q&A.
How big a role does your digital footprint play when it comes to selection into the most competitive colleges (Ivies)?
How would my AP situation be at Univs
What should someone do if they cannot participate in extracurriculars because their parents work all the time?
Should I take AP Lang even though I do not enjoy English?
What are some good extracurriculars for parks and recreation (park districts)/sports management?
How to do well on the math SAT if you struggle with math?
Should I write about religion in college app essays?
Do I need to take advanced STEM classes to get into a selective program?
If my spike isn't related to the major I want, will that hurt my application and admissions?
Does anyone know any CS extracurriculars?
What school to apply when you lack EC?
Does a volunteer based club look suspicious on college applications?
Should I self-publish on Amazon or this other site where I have a contract and can rank top 10?
What is a personal statement?
Will I get accepted into UF?
How can I apply to a USA college if I live in a Southamerican country (Chile)? What are de requirements?
If my spike isn’t what I want to major will it hurt my application?
Question & answer community guidelines
Help keep this community safe, supportive, and helpful!
All questions and answers must abide by these guidelines:Do:
- Write a clear question title that ends in a “?”.
- Vote! Upvote posts that are helpful and Downvote posts that aren’t.
- Be kind, be respectful, and keep posts relevant to college admissions and high school.
- Flag any posts that are inappropriate, rude, or break these guidelines.
- Don’t be rude. Posts containing anything violent, racist, attacking, trolling, illegal, offensive, inappropriate, etc. are strictly prohibited and will be removed.
- Don’t ask “chance-me” questions. These are questions that list your profile and ask how likely you are to get into a school. Please rely on the CollegeVine chancing or livestreams to answer this type of question. “Chance-me” posts often turn into bragging, and that’s not what we’re about here.
- Don’t ask for essay reviews. You should use peer essay review for safe and fast reviews. Don’t post your sharable essay link on the Q&A to get a faster review. Instead, “fast-track” your essay with karma!
- Don’t share personally identifying information like your name, email, or high school. Don’t attempt to solicit, reveal, or share personal information about others.
- Don’t post advertisements. These are unsolicited promotions of yourself, your business, or products/services. Posts that break the guidelines will be locked by a moderator. Users who break the guidelines 3 times will be banned from the Q&A.